FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Who is ONErpm?
- We are a digital music distribution platform and direct-to-fan store for artists and labels.
- When was ONErpm established and where are you located?
- We set up shop in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY in June of 2010. We’ve since moved our headquarters to Nashville, TN, opened a video production studio in Brooklyn, and currently have international offices in Mexico City, Bogotá, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo, Brazil.
- What do you do for artists/labels?
- Simply put, ONErpm provides the easiest, fastest, and most affordable solution to get your music where it matters most. In addition, we power the social commerce for our artists through our dynamic Facebook application and widgets.
- Is my personal information and the information provided by my fans safe?
- Absolutely! Our site utilizes a fully secure SSL connection, similar to those used by governmental offices and financial institutions. Also note, the privacy of our customers is extremely important to us and will never be given out or sold to any 3rd party company.
- How do I report a problem about the website or provide general feedback?
- You can post a comment on our feedback forum or send us an email.
- How does your digital distribution work?
- Simply sign up for a free account and upload your music. You will then be able to select your territories, pricing, and the stores you want your music sold within.
- What does it cost me?
- Absolutly nothing. Distribution is FREE to all services we work with. ONErpm keeps 15% and pays you 85%. The other option is to pay an annual fee of $30 and keep 100% of your royalties. All UPCs and ISRCs are included for free if needed.
- Who are your distribution partners?
- We deliver your music to the world's top music retailers, including iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc., the most innovative services, in the most promising markets. We're constantly expanding our reach so that your music will be heard and purchased by more people around the world.
- Is distributing with ONErpm exclusive?
- Distribution is only exclusive per release, per territory, per store. This means that, for example, your new album can be distributed to the iTunes U.S. store only by ONErpm - iTunes can’t accept multiple deliveries. However, you’re welcome to distribute the same album to iTunes Japan via a different distributor. The exclusivity is for a 1-year period and will automatically renew for additional 1-year periods. You can opt out by simply giving us notice 90 days prior the current 1-year period.
- How long does it take for an album to go live once paid for?
- Your music will be delivered shortly after it's approved and is usually live on most services within 24-48 hours.
- How much do I earn from sales?
- You will receive 85% of royalties we collect from our distribution partners, and 85% from sales on ONErpm.com and through our Facebook app and widgets. If ONErpm provides you with marketing support, our rate jumps to 30% and we pay you 70%. Marketing is optional and can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When and how do I get paid?
- You can withdraw available funds from your account at any time. Just select Withdraw Funds from your dashboard. All payments are deposited into your PayPal account.
- How do I find out how much music I've sold on iTunes and the other stores?
- We provide detailed monthly reports that you can view from your artist dashboard. We also provide daily sales trends from most music services, including Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube.
- Are my sales reported to Nielson SoundScan?
- Yes. All digital sales of any album or single will be properly reported. If you would like to monitor your sales to make sure you are given credit, you can register for a SoundScan account here.
- But, what if I don't have UPC (barcode) and ISRC codes?
- No problem! We give you a free UPC code for your album and ISRC codes for your tracks if you need them when distributing your music to iTunes and other stores.
- When I sign up for distribution, do I need to deliver my entire catalog to ONErpm?
- No, we distribute per album only, so you are not required to deliver your entire catalog.
- Do I need to have a physical CD to distribute my music with ONErpm?
- No, you do not need a physical CD. Simply create a free account and begin uploading individual tracks directly to our site.
- How do I create an album on ONErpm?
- First you must create an artist account. If you haven't done that yet get started here. From your dashboard, select Create New Album. You will then be guided through several steps.
- What format must my music be in?
- All audio files must be uncompressed wav files with a sample rate of 44100 Hz, and a bit rate of 1411 kbps.
- What format must my artwork be in?
- Artwork can be in one of the following file formats: JPG or TIFF. The image must be at least 1400x1400 pixels in size. All artwork must be in best-quality RGB Color mode (including black and white images) and must have a resolution of at least 72 dpi. You may not include: email addresses, URLs, any other contact information or any pricing information. You must also remove any stickers or other items from your artwork in case you are scanning it in from a physical CD.
- What should I know about UPC numbers?
UPC ("Universal Product Code") number is nothing more than
a group of numbers that are exclusively associated with your album,
EP or single. That's it. A BARCODE is a way for a machine to read the
UPC numbers. The UPC numbers appear in graphic form as vertical
lines: the lines represent the numbers of your UPC in a way that can
be scanned and understand by a computer. A UPC/Bar Code allows
physical stores to order your CDs easily. It also allows easy
tracking of what has sold in both physical and digital form.
Your album, EP or single should have its very own, one-of-a-kind UPC/Barcode. If not, two albums, EPs or singles with the same UPC/Barcode will confuse computers and people: they will not know which album, EP or single they are ordering or tracking.
Your album, EP or single needs a unique UPC. With ONErpm, there are two options:
- You already have a UPC/Barcode and want to use it. No problem, just enter it and it will be used.
- You do not yet have a UPC/Barcode. No problem, we will provide you with one free of charge.
If we assign you a UPC/Barcode, your UPC will immediately appear on your album page. You are free to use it for your physical CDs as well at no extra charge. You can continue using it even if you are no longer a ONErpm customer. ONErpm will never re-use your UPC/Barcode number. If you want it, it's yours forever.
- What should I know about ISRC numbers?
tracking and accounting purposes, each of your songs needs its own
unique ISRC number. An ISRC ("International Standard Recording
Code") is assigned to each song. This allows easy tracking of
each song, such as keeping track of how many copies of it sold. Each
ISRC is associated with only one song.
Each ISRC number is a total of twelve characters in a combination of letters and numbers. For example: US ONE 0501001.
Your songs need unique ISRC numbers. With ONErpm, there are two options:
- You already have your own ISRC codes for each song and want to use them. No problem, just enter each song's ISRC and they will be used.
- You do not yet have ISRC codes. No problem, we will make them for you free of charge.
If we assign your songs ISRC numbers, you are free to use them any way you like for anything else you like at no extra charge. You can continue using them even if you are no longer a ONErpm customer. ONErpm will never re-use your ISRC numbers. If you want them, they're yours forever.
IMPORTANT: A single requires both an ISRC (for the song) and a UPC (for the "album"): a single is merely an album with one or two songs.
- What makes up an album, and a single?
- Technically, everything is an album, even if it’s only one song: a single is merely an album with one or two songs.
- How do Explicit Lyrics work?
- Albums or singles with explicit lyrics are permitted on iTunes and other
stores, but they must be marked explicit. This is voluntary, but if
it is later discovered your album or single has explicit lyrics
and you failed to indicate it, both ONErpm and the stores/services
reserve the right to remove it at any time, or it may be rejected
right from the beginning.
IMPORTANT: Although ONErpm lets you mark individual songs explicit, right now if even ONE song on an album or single is marked explicit, the ENTIRE ALBUM or SINGLE will be marked explicit. There is no way to restrict it to a select few songs. It works just like the sticker affixed to the covers of CDs: it indicates the CD has explicit content, not just any given song.
- What is the price of an album?
- ONErpm prices music in four different tiers (free, low, middle, high). For each tier, ONErpm sums up the price of all the tracks in an album to get the full album price, but will not exceed the maximum per tier, which are Free, $4.99, $6.99, and $8.99. You have the ability to set the tier.
- What is the price of a track?
- The default track price is determined by the tier you select, either Free, $.49, $.69, or $.89.
- Can I give away my music for free?
- Yes, you can either give away up to three tracks per album available for sale, or give away the whole album. Prices can can be changed anytime.
- How do the Premium and Arena distribution packages differ?
- When distributing music with ONErpm, you have the option to choose between distributing your music for FREE and collecting up to 85% of your royalties, or paying an annual fee and collecting 100% of your royalties.
Premium Package Overview:
- No upfront fees
- Keep 85% of your royalties (70% for YouTube and Mobile Carriers)
- Select any store you want
Arena Package Overview:
- Pay an annual fee of $30.00 (per album) / $15.00 (per single) for all Essential stores
- Keep 100% of your royalties (70% for YouTube and Mobile Carriers)
- Mobile and Specialty Video stores are a separate fee
- YouTube is required
- What happens if I forget to pay the annual fee?
- If you are currently distributing your album under the Arena package and don’t pay the yearly fee, your music will continue to be active on all stores, however, your album will be switched over to the Premium package.
- Can I use both digital distribution packages for my music?
- Yes, but only for different works. For example, you could distribute one album with the Premium package and a completely different album with the Arena package.
- Can I make changes to an album once it has been distributed or published?
- Yes, once your album has been distributed and published to ONErpm, you can adjust your pricing, add additional stores, edit artwork and liner notes, etc. from your artist dashboard. However, you will not be able to add additional tracks or edit existing tracks, or change the basic information about the album. If you require a change on one of our distribution partner's site such as iTunes, please contact us here.
- How do I remove an album once it's been published?
- You must contact us directly in order to issue a takedown of your album from our distribution partners. Being it that each store's policy is different, it may take several weeks to fully remove.
- What defines a song as being a cover?
- A cover song is any recording of a song by you that you did not write. For example, if you were to record your own version of Michael Jackson's "Beat It," you must properly obtain authorization from the copyright holder(s) to distribute your work.
- How would I be able to distribute my album if it contains a cover?
- In order to do so legally, you would need to obtain a mechanical license. This can be accomplished on your own or by using an agency such as Harry Fox. Note, due to legality reasoning, we highly recommend using an agency so that you are fully protected.
- What happens if I've forgotten my password?
- No problem! We'll send it to you. Enter your email address here.
- What happens if I've forgotten my email address?
- Just send us an email and we will retrieve it for you.
- Can I change my artist name or username?
- Yes. Log in to your account and from your dashboard, you can edit your username to whatever you'd like as long as nobody else is using the same name.
- How do I change the password to my account?
- Log in to your account, click on Change Password from the artist dashboard, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Can anyone use ONErpm's Facebook app?
- Absolutely! However, you must have a ONErpm account with at least one published album and a Facebook page, not a profile.
- What are the Features included within the app?
- Fan-gating - fans have to "Like" your page before listening
- Customized promotional banner atop the app
- Featured video component
- Free download in exchange for an email
- Allow fans to name their own price for downloads
- Multiple sharing options (Facebook & Twitter)
- Display featured album or entire catalog
- Newsletter sign-up
- Evergreen shopping cart (customers can shop from page to page without losing items)
- Checkout occurs in Facebook - no redirect
- When someone buys my music from the app or widgets, how much do I receive?
- You receive 85% of the sale minus any PayPal or credit card transaction fees.
- How do I install the app on my Facebook page?
- First, be sure that you are logged in to both your Facebook and ONErpm accounts. From the artist dashboard on ONErpm, click Install Albums on Facebook. After doing so, you will then be redirected to Facebook and given on-screen instructions to finalize the installation.
If you are having trouble installing our app, feel free to contact us directly by email.
- How do I add a custom title to the app?
- From the Apps section of your Facebook page, find the ONErpm app and click Edit Settings.
- Can I make the app my default landing page on Facebook?
- Of course! From your Facebook page, click Edit Page. You will then need to click on the Manage Permissions tab on the lefthand side. Finally, navigate to the Default Landing Tab drop down menu and select Music (or, the custom tab name you inputted for the app).
- Where do I get the embed code for ONErpm's widgets?
- We have two widgets for our artists to use in selling their music on the web, the Store Widget and the Player Widget.
The Store Widget embed code can be found within the artist dashboard of your ONErpm account by clicking Widget. On the following page, you will see an example of what your store widget will look like, as well as have the opportunity to change the widget size and choose whether to display a single album or your entire discography.
The Player Widget can be located on your ONErpm artist page by clicking Share then Embed. The widget will be generated as a pop up where you will need to click the <+> button to obtain the code.
- How can I get my music/band featured?
- We are always open to featuring you on ONErpm's web properties and pitching your music for featured placements with our distribution partners. That’s what we do! In order to be considered, please send an email with the following info:
- Link to your ONErpm artist page
- Links to your website, social properties, and any significant media coverage you have received
- Any additional information that you feel is relevant
- How does ONErpm monetize my music on YouTube?
There are 2 ways to earn meaningful income on YouTube:
Earn money from advertisements that run within and alongside videos on your own channel
When you join ONErpm's Premium Network of Channels, we optimize your channel so that premium banner and pre-roll / post-roll advertisements are displayed within your videos and throughout your channel. These ads have a higher CPM (cost per thousand views) so that you earn more money from your channel. ONErpm pays you 70% of the money it collects.
Earn money through YouTube’s Content ID
Content ID is YouTube's state-of-the-art technology that identifies your music and videos that have been used partially or entirely by other YouTube users. ONErpm delivers your music tracks to YouTube, where your music is "fingerprinted" and a reference file is created in order to find other videos on YouTube using your music. Once these videos are identified, a claim is created and you start to collect advertising dollars from each play. ONErpm can also enable video matching once you join our Premium Multi-Channel Network or MCN. ONErpm pays you 70% of the money it collects.
- Earn money from advertisements that run within and alongside videos on your own channel
- What does it cost me to join?
- Absolutely nothing! Just sign up for a free account on ONErpm and follow the necessary steps to complete your profile. At the end of the process, you will be able to choose from our packages as to where you would like your music distributed. Select the Free Package, which also includes distribution to ONErpm, Facebook, Deezer, and Rdio; however, simply select only YouTube if you wish to not distribute to any of the other free services.
- Why should I join ONErpm’s YouTube Multi-Channel Network?
Teaming up with ONErpm is the best and easiest solution to start making real money on YouTube. In addition to earning more revenue on videos that are on your own channel, you will also collect money from any other video on YouTube that uses your music.
ONErpm’s benefits include:
- Earnings Optimization: We'll ensure your channel is fully optimized for monetization
- Content ID: We identify any video using your music. We can also enable video matching if you join our MCN.
- 100% Transparency: Maintain full access to your YouTube analytics (other companies hide this from you)
- Flexibility: You can either participate in our MCN or our audio Content ID program, or both!
- Technical Support: Dedicated account support from ONErpm and YouTube
- Promotional Support: Marketing support and resources to help grow your channel and increase revenues
- Flexible Territory Policies: Select territories you have rights in
- Content Creation: Work with our Content team to create unique video content for your channel, at no additional cost to you!
- How do I join ONErpm’s Multi-Channel YouTube Network?
Here are the necessary steps to get started:
- Sign up for a free ONErpm account
- Upload your music and select distribution to YouTube from our free package
- Email your YouTube channel URL (i.e. youtube.com/onerpmtv) to email@example.com so that we may send you an invitation
- Accept our invitation by logging into your YouTube account and visiting youtube.com/dashboard
- That’s it!
- Do I keep 100% of my rights and music?
- Yes. ONErpm does not own any of your copyrights whatsoever.
- How much will I be paid?
- ONErpm pays you 70% of the total profit received from YouTube.
- When do I get paid?
- Reports are processed monthly and you can withdraw funds any time using PayPal.
- Should I be concerned if YouTube sends me a Copyright Notice?
YouTube’s powerful system will locate any video containing your music, even if you are the one who uploaded the video. With that said, you may very well receive a notice in the name of ONErpm. This only indicates that your music is registered within YouTube's Content ID Database and will be monetized through our partnership.
ONErpm can also “whitelist” your YouTube channel, in which we would locate and monetize only videos outside of your channel. If you would rather go this route, just let us know.
- Will I still earn money if a YouTube video containing my music is embedded and played on a website outside of YouTube?
- Yes. Ads will still appear on any video that you monetize through ONErpm no matter where it is located on the web.
- If only a small portion of my music appears in a video, will I still be paid?
- Will the other users who upload videos containing my music be able to keep ads from appearing on those videos?
- No. This is the beauty of YouTube’s Content ID technology. Being it that you own the rights to the music and are a member of ONErpm’s network, only we are able to control whether or not ads appear. If the user does not like having these ads, he / she will only be able to remove the video.
- I am already a YouTube partner and generate revenue via AdSense on my own channel. Will this affect the money that I receive?
- For those monetized videos that do not contain music you registered through ONErpm's partnership, nothing will change. However, it is a possibility that our agreement could interfere with the videos that contain music you registered with us. You can either 1) Join ONErpm's Premium Multi-Channel Network to maximize earnings and visibility, 2) accept ONErpm's claim on your videos and ONErpm will collect on your behalf and pay you, or 3) have ONErpm whitelist your channel.
- What do I need in order to use ONErpm for YouTube monetization?
- All that is required of you to use our service is the rights to the music you are uploading, a valid email address, and you must be over the age of 18 or have a guardian represent you. In addition, you will need to sign up for a free ONErpm account so you can get paid.
- How do I get buy links for iTunes, Amazon, etc. to appear below videos using my music?
- In order for these links to appear, you must first have your music available for purchase on those services, in which you can do so through ONErpm. In addition, you must enter the corresponding ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) for each of your tracks.
- What are ISRCs and how do I obtain them?
- An ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) is a unique number provided by your music distributor to identify each of your songs. If you do not have ISRCs associated with your music, ONErpm provides them for free when you distribute through our service.
- What if I distribute my music with ONErpm, yet do not want to participate in the YouTube partnership?
- If you do not wish to participate in the program yet would still like to sign up with ONErpm for digital distribution, simply uncheck the box next to YouTube when you are selecting from our distribution packages.